I only have instragram photos of these "nuggets", they couldn't last long enough on the plate to be taken by a proper camera. It's a hit! My friends love it and people are asking for the recipe. I call it "Rosemary Oat Chicken (ROC) Nuggets" and the idea of the recipe came because of an accident with another recipe and then these babies were born after I experimented. How do they taste like? Just like McD Chicken Nuggets without the guilt! Chewy and yummy! I'll post the nutritional value at the end of this post and compare it with McD's nuggets.
Okay here we go.
Ingredients: Makes about 12-15 nuggets
1/2 Cup Minced Chicken
1 Whole Egg
1-2 Teaspoon of Chopped Fresh/Dried Rosemary
1/4 Cup Oatmeal
1/4 Oat Bran
Salt&Pepper to taste
Minced garlic (optional)
1. If you don't have minced chicken breast, you can just get fresh chicken breast and blend it up in a blender. Don't blend them too long or else they will end up really mushy--but you can still use them though.
2. Mix the ingredients together in a bowl, make sure you season generously with salt and pepper for taste (but not too much) as the oats could make them taste a little bland, until they are well mixed as so.
3. Now it's time to shape them into the nuggets they were made to be! Take a plate and line it with plastic wrap, this is a step you won't want to skip as it would make it easier for your uncooked nugget to come off the plate and not lose it's shape. And take a tablespoon to scoop out the chicken nugget mix and shape it into tiny little nuggets. If the plate is full of just shaped nuggets, then line another plastic wrap on top of the nuggets and continue until your chicken nugget mix is finished.
4. Refrigerate for about 4-6 hours. You can skip this step if you like but I feel it tastes nicer once it's refrigerated (and firmer too so it's easier to cook)
5. Cooking time! Spray or coat the an lightly with extra virgin olive oil and cook the nuggets on SLOW FIRE. This is important so that you cook the whole nugget up to it's center. Turn the nuggets from time to time. It should cook around 10 minutes with low to medium heat. I haven't tried deep frying it so maybe someone could give it a shot?
6. When it's done it should look brown on all sides and it should be firm enough and actually look like a nugget. TIP: It tastes the best when it's just cooked. Don't leave them out too long because they may taste a bit weird when it's cold. What I like to do is make a few batch and keep it in the fridge until I feel like having it, so I cook a few when I want to have it.